*************************************************************************************************************
Adorable Accents Maltese
Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine
These products all contain substances called methylxanthines, which are
found in cacao seeds, the fruit of the plant used to make coffee and in the
nuts of an extract used in some sodas. When ingested by pets,
methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst
and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and
even death. Note that darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk
chocolate. White chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines, while
baking chocolate contains the highest.
Alcohol
Alcoholic beverages and food products containing alcohol can cause
vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system
depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and
even death.
Avocado
The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain Persin, which can
cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Birds and rodents are especially
sensitive to avocado poisoning, and can develop congestion, difficulty
breathing and fluid accumulation around the heart. Some ingestions may
even be fatal.
Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts are commonly used in many cookies and candies.
However, they can cause problems for your canine companion. These nuts
have caused weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in
dogs. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and last
approximately 12 to 48 hours.
Grapes & Raisins
Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these
fruits can cause kidney failure. In pets who already have certain health
problems, signs may be more dramatic.
Yeast Dough
Yeast dough can rise and cause gas to accumulate in your pet’s digestive
system. This can be painful and can cause the stomach or intestines to
rupture. Because the risk diminishes after the dough is cooked and the
yeast has fully risen, pets can have small bits of bread as treats. However,
these treats should not constitute more than 5 percent to 10 percent of your
pet’s daily caloric intake.
Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones
Raw meat and raw eggs can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E.
coli that can be harmful to pets. In addition, raw eggs contain an enzyme
called avidin that decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin), which
can lead to skin and coat problems. Feeding your pet raw bones may seem
like a natural and healthy option that might occur if your pet lived in the wild.
However, this can be very dangerous for a domestic pet, who might choke
on bones, or sustain a grave injury should the bone splinter and become
lodged in or puncture your pet’s digestive tract.
Xylitol
Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy,
baked goods and toothpaste. It can cause insulin release in most species,
which can lead to liver failure. The increase in insulin leads to
hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs of toxicosis include
vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. Signs can progress to
recumbancy and seizures. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be
seen within a few days.
Onions, Garlic, Chives
These vegetables and herbs can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could
lead to red blood cell damage. Although cats are more susceptible, dogs
are also at risk if a large enough amount is consumed. Toxicity is normally
diagnosed through history, clinical signs and microscopic confirmation of
Heinz bodies. An occasional low dose, such as what might be found in pet
foods or treats, likely will not cause a problem, but we recommend that you
do NOT give your pets large quantities of these foods.
Milk
Because pets do not possess significant amounts of lactase (the enzyme
that breaks down lactose in milk), milk and other milk-based products cause
them diarrhea or other digestive upset.
Salt
Large amounts of salt can produce excessive thirst and urination, or even
sodium ion poisoning in pets. Signs that your pet may have eaten too many
salty foods include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body
temperature, seizures and even death. In other words, keep those salty
chips to yourself!

The following foods may be dangerous to your pet:

Apple seeds
Apricot pits
Cherry pits
Hops (used in home beer brewing)
Moldy foods
Mushroom plants
Mustard seeds
Peach pits
Potato leaves and stems (green parts)
Rhubarb leaves
Tea (because it contains caffeine)
Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
Walnuts
Xylitol